“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” For more information see my Disclaimer
Everybody loves delicious chewy Vegan Christmas cookies!
This weekend, I realized that I needed to get cookies for my accounts at work. Rather than buy them, I figured I could save some money and bake them myself! After looking up a few different recipes, I decided to make peppermint crunch cookies since it’s unique from the traditional sugar cookie!
Plus, this recipe includes two of my favorite things: Oreos and candy canes!
I substituted ingredients to make it completely dairy free and vegan! My husband is lactose intolerant, so I find myself doing this quite often.
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup Apple sauce
- 1 egg (to make this recipe vegan use either 1/2 cup of mashed bananas or 1 TBSP of chia seeds soaked in 1/3 cup of water for 15 minutes)
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (I prefer avocado oil, find it Here)
- 1 box of any vanilla cake mix
- 12 Oreos (or any chocolate cookie)
- Candy canes (10 mini canes)
- Set the oven to 350°F
- Smash the cookies and candy canes and mix together in a bowl
- In separate bowl, add applesauce, egg, and oil. Whisk to mix.
- Once wet ingredients are mixed, add in cake mix and stir
- After ingredients are completely mixed in, add in cookie/candy cane mixture and stir until evenly distributed
- Use a spoon to measure out cookie batter into balls on a cookie sheet
- The mix will be a bit more runny than most other cookie dough recipes so keep that in mind while distributing it on the sheet. My first sheet I made the cookie dough-balls a little too big with two spoonfuls of batter for each dough-ball. One spoonful was the perfect size!
- Bake for 10 minutes and then check every minute after that. Once the edges are golden brown, take them out of the oven and leave them on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes. Even if they don’t look fully done on the top, the cookies will continue to bake on the sheet. I found that since there is cake batter in the cookie it is easy to over bake them!